Saturday, July 28, 2007

Fishing and Westbrook Garrison

This morning, I awoke in the Stormwind Orphanage just to hear Shellene, one of the Orphanage matrons, tell the group of scampering children, "All will be well...the Light shall see to that!" How true! It is both heart warming to see the orphan children being so well taken care of and sad to think about the loss of their parents. I wish I could do more for them, but then I think that sometimes a kind word, a little attention, and a gentle pat on the head can be as nourishing to the heart of young child as a loaf of bread is as nourishing to their little bellies. After scrambling out of bed and outdoors, I decided to fish for a bit in the city canals.


Fishing in Stormwind Canals

It was a lovely morning for fishing, an activity that inspires a lot of reflection. I had opportunity to observe the city's birds fluttering around the ramparts while simultaneously thinking about my mission to serve the Light as a paladin. While I was fishing, Miss Danna, the school mistress, walked by with a group of children. I waved hello to them and thought about how it is for their safety and protection that I defend the city and promulgate the Light's influence throughout the land. That made me smile. But as the sun became hot and the fish were biting less, I decided that it was time to return to Goldshire and speak with Marshal Dughan.

But, just as I was leaving the city, Renato Gallina, stopped me. He was standing in front of the alchemy shop with a questioning look on his face. I sensed he needed my help, which of course, he did. He asked me if I would help advertise his sister's wineshop. "Of course," I told him. After spreading the word around Stormwind's Trade District, I eventually made my way to Renato's sister, Suzetta, with the wine ticket Renato gave me. She was so grateful for my exertions on her behalf, she gave me a complimentary bottle of pinot noir! I didn't have the heart to tell her that I took a vow of temperance when I became a paladin. I kindly accepted the bottle in silence and left the city for Goldshire.

Once there, I found Marshal Dugan and asked if he had any tasks for me. He explained that Deputy Rainer might need my help at the Westbrook Garrison on the edge of Elwynn forest far to the west. I had never been so far west before, but with the defense of the Stormwind orphans in my mind, I readily agreed to help out in any way I could. I decided, in the interests of exploration, that I would not follow the road to Westbrook directly, but make my west over land through the forest. My thought was if I encountered any evil encroaching towards the city's peaceful walls, I would repel them as best I could.

And encounter evil I did! Near Mirror lake, I found a small cottage which apparently was the hideout for Morgaine the Spy! She had surrounded herself with her Defias compatriots for protection, but it was no use--I made quick work of both her and her gang. I managed to take her Jeweled Dagger as reward for my accomplishment, a fine blade, but alas a blade that I could not use myself. About this time, I explored the region behind Mirror Lake and discovered Thunder Falls, yet another Defias hideout. But instead of the usual rogues I encounter, I found that the Defias had enlisted the help of Evil Wizards! Nevertheless, I overcame them as handily as I do the rogues, and I finally wended my way further west.


Deputy Rainer and Westbrook Garrison.

I found Deputy Rainer out front of the Garrison. He looked a little haggard and spoke of the trouble with a large band of "brutish" gnolls which had been encroaching deeper and deeper into peaceful Elwynn, a place they definitely do not belong! He said one gnoll in particular, a gnoll that goes by the name of Hogger, was giving him and the soldiers in his command more than a little grief. "Hogger has overpowered all our efforts to defeat him," he explained. At that moment, I instantly vowed to him that I would do everything to clear this band of gnolls out of the forest and bring him Hogger's head myself! He smiled weakly as if I had merely offered him a kind thought rather than make a solemn vow. I took silent note of his apparent disbelief in my abilities but said nothing, asking instead if I could bunk with his soldiers to rest up from my journey before embarking on this new task. He graciously assented. After taking my place in the soldier's quarters, I fell asleep thinking how I might defeat Hogger and thereby prove how "my word is my honor" to Deputy Rainer.

No comments: